The development is finished. The To Do List remains as part of the game development history 🙂
Current actual version is 22.214.171.1248 from 13.3.2014. See Alister main page.
Last updated 13.3.2014
Done To Do
Not Catchable Bugs / Not reproduceable
– Toilet behind witchhouse doesn`t open up like the other behind the wizardhouse +++ Hmm, odd. Not reproduceable. They both open fine.
– Some Goats stands up after shooting them. Only in the big castle level? +++ Not reproduceable. All goats stays at ground when shot. Possible that this is another linux problem. EDIT, okay i have seen this quite a few times now, also with other characters. So no linux problem. But it is still not catchable. Hm.
– Simultaneous dying of enemie and Alister +++ I have seen this too. But this is nothing that can be fixed. There are situations where your enemy can kill you while you kill him
– Totally mixed up graphics under Linux. The geometry is exploded. Not reproduceable because i don`t have Linux installed
– Invisible spider in the spiderjail level. Just the shadow moves. Win 8 on Webplayer in Firefox. – I cannot reproduce that one. Might be a Win 8 issue. It doesn´t happen with Win 7 here.
– Zsorting problem with the billboarded grass. +++ This would mean to write my own shaders. Behind my current skills. Behind my nerves. And behind the performance too 🙂
– Linux – very low FPS +++ I cannot change anything at the export settings to change this behaviour, sorry.
– Linux – no visible fire when shooting +++ I cannot change anything at the export settings to change this behaviour, sorry.
– Spikey Castle – Goat can kill Alister when he stands behind the fence. +++ Fixing this one turned out to be complicated. Either by adding lots of code or making the fence much bigger. Both is not what i really want. So i decided to leave it the current way.
– Killing a spider in honey winery can cause to spawn lots of books +++ I tried several times and several approaches to provoke this behaviour. No luck. Another uncatchable bug it seems.
– Reinvested into jumping and get stuck. Too much effort for this little nagger. I will leave it this way.
– Very low fps in the spikey castle. Not reproduceable in current build. Possible cause is that i have forgotten to turn off the lightmapping lights in an earlier build.
– Snail Island, Null Ref Exception when receiving the questitem. iTween moans +++ Not reproduceable. What kind of hiccup was that?
– Hellgate west writes bookcount to savegame. But there are no books to collect. Doesn’t really matter. A fix would mean to do some heavy tweaks at a scene independend script. It doesn`t disturb really. So it stays as it is.
– Cake valley, music is set to zero, but music is playing. +++ Bug report came from Linux Debian 7.3 testing branch. Not reproduceable.
– The big bridge, problems with physics and one of the chests. The chest played rocket … +++ Bug report came from Linux Debian 7.3 testing branch. Not reproduceable.
– The time for Suggestions and Ideas is over. The game is fihished.
Discarded ideas and suggestions
Here you can find the discarded user ideas that came up while development. Discarded ideas doesn`t mean that the idea was worthless. Just that it didn`t really fit into the concept after thinking it to the end. Even a declined idea is something very useful.
– Beat em up fighting system +++ It`s a jump n run. This doesn`t really fit.
– Toilet flashing sound +++ Nice idea, but it`s no water toilet. So …
– Revisit movement script. Too many people are unhappy with the current way to control the character. +++ After revisiting i decided to leave the controls in the current way. There are worse controls. But not this much better ones. And they don`t fit here.
– Gamebalance – easier jumping, less precision necessary +++ Can´t do that one. It`s a jump n run. When you don`t need to care about jumping, then it`s no jump n run anymore. Possible that i may revisit this one in the beta stage. But for now it stays as it is.
– harder gameplay, more enemies, more clever ai – VERSUS – Easier gameplay and less enemies. +++ It stays as it is. I will revisit the chapter game balance once the game is in Beta.
– honey winery – increase the time for the sinking stones so that you can get easier to the other side +++ The time was fine. I found a bug instead though.
— Side view, a 2.5D level. +++ I´ve thougth about this again and again. 2.5D would be a completely different setup. And i am more than busy to balance the current setup. So that one`s unfortunately out.
– Swimming and diving. +++ I don`t have transparent water areas. Means this idea is out because of too big effort.
– Climbing. +++ I am more than busy to make sure that Alister cannot reach areas where he doesn´t belong to. To implement climbing would mean to redo the levels from scratch. Too much work.
– Slide down cliffs. +++ There are no cliffs to slide. This would mean a compeltely different leveldesign.
– Swinging from rope to rope. +++ I don`t have a level or a situation for it, sorry.
– Drift across water at barrels. +++ Not enough water for such a feature.
– Riding rockets, Riding something, Flying in general. +++ I have enough problems to keep the player in the level without caring about air stuff, sorry 🙂
– Special Terrain Splatting that doesn´t mix the textures not only by splatmaps but also by the colour informations of the textures. +++ This would mean to write a special shader. That`s to time intensive. I have too much open roadworks already.
– Respawn in front of the corresponding teleportergate instead of the one in front of the witchhouse. +++ You need to talk to Esme quite often. The way between respawn point and esme is ways shorter than the way between level entrance and Esme.
– FPS style controls with mouse to look around and WASD for movement. +++ Too much effort, sorry.
– No lives anymore. But continuous Gameplay which sets you back to the last savepoint. +++ I have already a lives based system. A question of effort again. Because this would mean to have a completely different game balance.
– Collected book pages vanishes once they got collected. +++ This would make the reentering of the levels quite boring when there`s nothing to collect anymore.
– Casting Spells, besides fire. +++ Too much effort. Every new feature needs a situation where you can use it.
– Dying not at the first contact. Possible solution: something like the mushrooms for mario. You loose a goodie at contact. And the second contact is the one that`s killing you then. Same for enemies. More than one shoot or kick necessary. +++This would complicate the gameplay. And make it more into a beat em up instead of a jump n run. Currently you can kill most of the enemies with fire from the distance. That`s the main weapon. And here it doesn`t make sense to push the enemies back. And you have to avoid the rest of the enemies and traps anyways. A penalty in form of a little bit damage doesn`t really make sense.
– Remove launcher and integrate the settings in the main menu. This is especially interesting for Linux. Beause there is no launcher. +++ Turned out to be too complicated. I don`t have linux, i cannot test it. My main target platform is windows.
– Collect book pages in the first level too +++ This conflicts with the barrers in front of the teleporters. I would need a second display for that. So no book pages in the first level, the cake valley.
– Another or alternative, more quiet song for the levelselection level + After rethinking this issue i decided to leave the current song in the level 🙂
– Special push animation when pushing chests and stones around. +++ Made too much trouble with overriding other animations. It`s not game relevant, so i leave this one out.
– Camera can look through walls in the first moment of wall collision. Because it checks for collisions between camera and player. And so it is already in the wall when the collision happens. Suggenstion is to cast a ray sidewards so that the collision is triggered much earlier. +++ Good idea, but it makes nothing than trouble. The raycasts tends to override each other. And the camera dances around. I do most probably something wrong here. To solve this i would have to rewrite the camera i guess. Too much effort. That you can look through walls here and there is not game relevant.
– LOD for trees. Thie trees are not at a Unity terrain. So this is a bit more complicated. A simple LOD script from the unify wiki looks extremely ugly. The popping effect from low to high geometry is too visible. The LOD system from T4M doesn`t work here. And no answer from the developer of the T4M system. So it stays as it is.
– Spikey Castle. Add another savepoint after the bassin with the floating stones. That`s too much sorry. I cannot place a savepoint behind every hurdle.
A special thanks goes to Flatterbacke for his Lavashader and his Watershader. And more than one help now with coding problems.
Another special thanks goes to Joshua Michael Waggoner for fixing my miserable english translations.
A big Thanks for help, feedback, bug reports, ideas and suggestion goes in no particular order to
And all the other lost souls that gave me feedback and help, but that i have forgotten to mention here 🙂